It’s now the beginning of February and I’m wanting to check in on how I’m doing towards my goals for the year as of the end of last month.
- Sew more clothes for myself and the kids. In Progress/This is actively being worked on. I am working on scrubs for my new job (Yay!), some wardrobe essentials I’m sadly lacking, and I plan to make the girls’ Easter dresses.
- Boost my little side business, sewing custom clothing and alterations. This will become a priority this month.
- Complete the BSN portion of my RN to MSN Education degree. I’m nearly finished my first course. At my current rate I’ll be done my BSN portion of my education by October 2012. Woo hoo!
- Save money for our first house. We are budgeting and saving! Yay! We plan to rent a house this spring, for 12 months, and then buy after that lease is up.
- Improve my relationship with Bill and the kids. In Progress/Some days are better than others, but I am trying my best.
- Finish one knitted item. I started working on my in progress vintage sweater last weekend. I’ve been working on it when I have nothing to do. I hope it’s done by fall.
- Walk the neighborhood at least 3-4 days a week. This will not happen until spring, I’m sure. I have been working out 3-5 days a week at the gym, though. Yay me!
- Organize my sewing area and bedroom. Sewing area is in progress. Bedroom is a beast and very overwhelming. I’ll get to it soon. We’re planning on moving and I need to get that stuff under control so we can pack and go when we need to.
So, it’s time for a new year and time for new goals. Last year’s goals were not too bad, really. I did a few of them, which is better than none I think. Here’s the recap:
- Rebuild my wardrobe. – This is still in progress by the end of 2011 and I’ve made significant progress. I got rid of a TON of clothing (donated/freecycled) and I have been steadily building a really wearable wardrobe that I love.
- Get my craft mojo back! – I hardly did any knitting or crocheting, but I did get my craft mojo seriously going with decorating projects and sewing.
- Cull excess crap from my surroundings and life. – I got rid of all the excess knitting/crocheting supplies that I was NEVER going to use and no longer loved. Yay! I also moved my sewing space from the bedroom into the great room and reorg’ed it a bit. It still needs more organization work, though.
- Land my first RN job! – I got my RN license and got my first job! Yay! I start Jan. 2012!
- Get our finances in better order. – This finally started happening around the end of the year. I got into bulk cooking which has saved us a LOT of money, and we’ve been doing less frivolous spending.
- Prepare to buy our first house. – Didn’t happen.
- Devote more energy into my relationship with Bill. – Made some small improvements, but there’s still a TON of room left to be better.
- Devote more energy into my relationships with Evie and Abbie. – I think I made pretty good strides with this, but there’s always room for improvement.
- Try out for another play! – I’ve decided to not try out for acting gigs for now. I got involved in costuming and really love it.
- Prepare for my first competitive run. – Yeah, um, didn’t happen. My large rear end was way too comfy to sit on this year.
- Go out and sing karaoke! – Didn’t happen.
I’m actually pretty proud of how much I did do as far as my goals this past year. Yay me! Now, this year I want to accomplish the following… or at least make progress towards these things:
- Sew more clothes for myself and the kids. I really want more dresses. I also want to make myself a pair of pants that fit me well. I’m currently in process of preparing my dream winter coat for sewing, so that will be first on the list to get done.
- Boost my little side business, sewing custom clothing and alterations. I have 5 potential dresses to make this coming year. I need to confirm them asap and make sure I have satisfied customers so they can recommend me to others.
- Complete the BSN portion of my RN to MSN Education degree. I’m starting Jan. 2, 2012 with Western Governor’s University. I really think this is totally doable. I’d like to get my MSN within 2 years, tops.
- Save money for our first house. We are tightening our belts a bit so we can start saving for a down payment. Now is really the time for us to buy so we just need to get our money in order for it.
- Improve my relationship with Bill and the kids. I adore my family and need to make sure they are aware of that daily.
- Finish one knitted item. I have a sweater for myself and one for my mother in the works. I need to FINISH something. Even if I don’t love doing it anymore I want to make sure I finish what I promised to do.
- Walk the neighborhood at least 3-4 days a week. My large rear end is SUPER comfy, but.. it’s a big BUTT, and I want to get it just a little smaller. So I need to start moving, regularly. Not in the hyper spurts that I tend to do. I have severe motivation issues and lose steam with most exercise, but I really enjoy walking my neighborhood. It’s scenic and peaceful, so I need to use that to my advantage and do something.
- Organize my sewing area and bedroom. They both need SERIOUS help. This is a big challenge for me as I’m kind of chaos incarnate and don’t really have an organized bone in my body. lol But I gotta try.
I think that’s it. Fewer things than last year, but things that are far more important to me at this point.
I hope you all have a happy, prosperous and safe New Year!
Well, officially yesterday was our anniversary. We were married on Friday, Oct. 13, 2004. It was a dreary, rainy day and the sun came out when we were taking photos after the ceremony. Funny thing is yesterday was a dreary, rainy day and the sun came out at about the same time it did 7 years ago. How amazing is that?
We decided a while back to do the celebrate thing for our anniversary this weekend. We gave each other little things yesterday. Bill gave me a very touching card that I’ve re-read at least 10 times since getting it and 35 little post it notes with “Love You” written on them posted all over the house. I gave him an e-card, a Cthulhu cup cozy (hand crocheted by the lovely Jade Bartlett) for him to take to work for a laugh, and a real card. Otherwise it was a fairly normal evening in our house… dinner, family time, unwind after kids are in bed, etc. Today I woke to find a love note written on the storm door in dry erase marker from Bill and I gave him his other, sweeter, present when he got home from work. I used this tutorial and template download to make it. He loved it. Here it is:
Here’s the other gift I gave him:
Photo courtesy of Heather Bartlett.
Bill will give me my other gift this weekend. I can’t wait! Tomorrow we are going to have dinner at El Dorado and after dinner we will go to the “Ghosts of Sotterly” performance at Sotterly Plantation. Sunday we will wake up late after enjoying an evening without the kids. (Thanks to my in-law’s for letting them spend the night Saturday!)