I really need to eat healthier. I love beans and veggies, but got out of the habit of eating them over the last number of years. Here is a little experiment I did for dinner tonight that turned out delicious! If you try it I hope you enjoy it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots (or 6 medium baby carrots) coarsely chopped
- 7 oz. Hillshire Farms Turkey Lil’ Smokies, sliced
- 1 lb. lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 lb frozen spinach, kale, or mustard greens (I used mustard greens in the photo above. It’s what I had.)
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and saute until tender.
- Add sausage, lentils, chicken broth, sage, thyme, pepper and salt to the vegetables. Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- Add frozen greens of your choice, increase heat to medium high to resume boil and stir to incorporate the greens as they thaw. At this point you may need to add another cup or two of water to just cover the lentils (they really soak up liquid. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Enjoy this filling meal!